Sunday, June 30, 2013

Mango Avocado Salad

The smell of mangoes immediately sends me back to my childhood. My Grandma's old house (the house my mother grew up in) had a huge mango tree. Though I didn't eat much mango as a child, the smell of the fruit hanging from branches filled my nose whenever I played in her backyard. I get a rush of imaginary Hawaiian breezes and green grass whenever I'm near a ripe mango.

Luckily for me mangoes are on sale at all the markets. 10 for $10 is what they're going for now, or at least at some of the stores. Not as good as corn (5 for a buck) but I'll take it. Although mangoes are kind of a pain to peel and cut, the flavor is juicy and sweet and worth the mess. Must make more things with mango! Let's start with something easy and decadent.



Mango Avocado Salad (inspired by Sunny Anderson's recipe)

1 mango, peeled and cubed
1 avocado, cubed
1 lime, juiced
1 tbsp olive oil
1/4 cup onion, diced
salt and pepper to taste
cilantro (optional)


Place mango, avocado and onion in a bowl. Combine lime juice, olive oil, salt and pepper and pour over salad. Top with cilantro and mix together. Enjoy!

Cubing the mango

Excuse my chipped bowl

This is basically a free form, chunky guacamole without the spice. Although, some red pepper flake might be nice in here for next time. Anyway, this is great as a dip with chips, or a topping for a leafier salad, or just on the side of a grilled sausage on a bun. It's perfect for Summer and a nice way to cool down.

More mangoes to come...

-Akemi-chan

No comments: