Saturday, June 15, 2013

Almond Coconut Chocolate Chip Cookies

I've been on a coconut binge lately. I don't know if it's so much of a craving as it is a need. Coconut granola, coconut milk, pina coladas... everything has to have coconut! As I wan enviously watching Boyfriend eat an Almond Joy, I contemplated dessert inspiration.

Almonds, coconut and chocolate make such an incredible combination and there had to be other applications other than candy bars and coffee creamer.

One day I came home from work and felt the need to bake. Maybe it's because I haven't used my Kitchen Aid stand mixer since I made mashed potatoes. Maybe it was because I just wanted something fresh from the oven. I don't know what it was, but I had to make something.



Almonds Coconut Chocolate Chip Cookies

1/2 cup butter, room temperature
3/4 cup white sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup chocolate chips, I used dark chocolate
1 cup coconut flakes
1 cup chopped almonds

Preheat oven at 375 degrees and grease 2 baking sheets. In a large bowl or stand mixer cream butter, white sugar and brown sugar. When mixture is smooth, add beaten eggs and vanilla. Once incorporated, add flour,  baking soda and salt. Once mixture is smooth and combined, mix chocolate chips, coconut flakes and almonds.


Bake on oven for 8-12 minutes. Once baked, remove from oven and let cool on baking sheet before transferring to cooling rack. Makes 20-26 cookies.



The cookies come out light and fluffy with a little sweetness from the chocolate, a little crunch from the almonds and a little chewy from the coconut. Maybe I should get some coconut flavored ice cream and make sandwiches. Oh no, I don't like where this is going...

-Akemi-chan

No comments: