Monday, June 17, 2013

Spinach and Feta Hummus

When the weather gets hot, I love to pretend to be a vegetarian. Yes, I'm an impostor, but I truly believe that I couldn't be a vegetarian in the colder months thanks to the harsh Illinois weather conditions. But Spring and Summer, with the beautiful produce, sunshine and cold drinks? I could bask in vegetarian bliss for weeks at a time. Vegan? That's going a little too far. What can I say? I love cheese.

Here's a great idea for a fun fresh appetizer, spread for sandwiches or a fun finger food meal.


Spinach and Feta Hummus

1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1/2 cup fresh spinach, torn
1 garlic clove, minced
3 tbsp plain low fat yogurt
1/4 cup olive oil
1 lemon, zested and juiced
3 oz feta cheese
1 tbsp red pepper flake (optional)
red bell pepper, julienne (optional)

Add chickpeas, spinach, garlic, yogurt, olive oil, lemon juice and lemon zest in food processor. Mix until smooth. Add feta and red pepper flake and pulse until smooth. Use as dip or spread.

I dipped sliced red bell pepper in it and the contrast of crunch and smooth was fantastic. You can also dip chips, sugar snap peas, carrots, sliced radishes, or celery. YUM! Enjoy.

-Akemi-chan

No comments: