Wednesday, June 5, 2013

In a New York State of Mind Day 3

Day three was a beautiful sunny day and our first opportunity to explore all the city has to offer. Naturally we went to Junior's for brunch. 

One of the main foods I wanted to eat was locks on a bagel. I've had a love affair with salmon for years and it's still one of my favorite fishes til this day. I got my first salmon, bagel and cream cheese while my parents had breakfast and Brother had Matzoh ball soup. 


Cheezu

Our first stop on our sunny self-guided sight-seeing tour was Grand Central Terminal. One of my coworkers told me that everything is New York seems so familiar because you've seen it a million times on television and in the movies. It's kind of true, but we had to see it anyway. 

Grand Central is one of the most visited landmarks in New York city, for obvious reasons. If I didn't feel the hustle and bustle of New York before visiting Grand Central, I felt it when I got there. When we visited Grand Central it was celebrating it's 100th year and there was a large 100 on the huge windows of the main concourse. 

Everything from the clock in the center of the main concourse and the constellation mural on the ceiling, to the dining areas and dimmed yellow lighting underground hinted of classic New York. I felt like I was simultaneously in the middle of history and the modern age. 










We did visit the Chrysler building, since it was right down the street, but most of the building's beauty is from the outside.


Next stop was the New York Public Library. Like Grand Central, I felt like I was on the set of a movie when we were at the library. The archways, the sculptures, murals and staircases were just as beautiful as they were grand. 

Unfortunately, I didn't realize that Bryant Park was just behind the library. It would've been nice to visit the grounds for New York Fashion Week, but there's always next time. Anyway, I had a nice time gawking at all the little details of the library. 





Dad and I at the steps of the New York Public Library







Central Park made me understand the scale of New York city. When I first saw a map of Manhattan, I knew it was a big city. I had been to Chicago and Tokyo before, but the vast endlessness of the New York skyline is nothing like I've seen before. We only covered about a quarter of Central Park and we were tired from all the walking.

The park is gorgeous and full of iconic spots, or at least that's what our buggy driver told us. It was cute to go on the little horse and carriage to explore the grounds. It was kind of neat to get a tour guide's perspective on the park, like where certain scenes from TV and film here shot. Oh and just in case you didn't notice the flag on the buggy, he was Brazilian.








Dad and Brother at the top of the big rock

I made it to the top of the little rock



New York street food

nom nom

Shirt: H&M
Shorts: Forever 21
Sandals: Kelly & Katie
Necklace & Earrings: Express
Popsicle: lime :-P

Bubbles! Bubbles! BUBBLES!

Entertainment at the Mall & Literary Walk

Bethesda Fountain 

SQUIRREL!!


Glittering rocks

The nice homeless man talking to himself

We did a little more exploring outside the park and stumbled onto ABC studios and Julliard. We walked there for more shopping, but the sights were still pretty great.



One our way back from the Lincoln Center for Performing Arts, we stopped by Carnegie Deli for a classic New York Deli sandwich.


I love the walls of celebrities' and politicians' pictures

AWL DAY!


Pastrami sandwich, this is the small one

Tongue sandwich, again the small one

Giant strawberry cheesecake

Look at that big pickle!

Amurrika sunglasses

Broadway/ Times Square at night

Of course we did a little more shopping on the way back, but that's always on the itinerary. Day four we head down to lower Manhattan for another sunny day of exploring. 

-Akemi-chan

No comments: