Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Cold Crunchy Salad with Yogurt Dressing

I'm not a big fan of "salads" that aren't made of leafy greens. Examples include pasta salad, macaroni salad and potato salad. I attribute my aversion to the mayo "dressing". Don't get me wrong, I love mayo. I love it with my fries with sriracha or ketchup and on sandwiches as a garlic aioli. But something about a "salad" that has no veggies, covered in mayo makes me feel heavy and sick. 

I love the idea of a cold Spring/ Summer salad, so I found a healthier alternative.


Cold Crunchy Salad with Yogurt Dressing

4 medium radishes, sliced into rounds
1 medium cucumber, seeded and cut into 1 inch pieces
1 cup sugar snap peas, sliced in half
1 tbsp cilantro
2 tbsp green onion, chopped
1/4 cup yogurt
salt and pepper to taste

Slice radishes into thin rounds. I used a knife but you can used a slicer. Peel cucumber, slice in half lengthwise, and scoop out seeds. Chip into one inch pieces. Peel stems snap peas to remove stems and fibrous ends. Cut snap peas into bite sized pieces. Place all ingredients into a small bowl and mix until evenly covered with yogurt sauce. Let marinade for 10-20 minutes in fridge.

This is a nice salad option without the heaviness of mayonnaise, macaroni or potatoes. Enjoy!

No comments: