Thursday, June 13, 2013

Coconut Oil Coconut Granola

I love coconut. Maybe it's because I'm an "island girl," and I say that very loosely. Or maybe it's just delicious and it reminds me of warm weather. Since it's almost swimsuit season (even though I have no beach to go to), a girl's gotta get into shape and eat healthier. Coconut granola sounds like a good breakfast treat.

To triple the coconut factor, I'm using coconut oil instead of vegetable oil and adding coconut flakes and coconut milk instead of regular milk. I've gone coconut crazy!

Granola and strawberries with coconut milk


Coconut Oil Coconut Granola

3 cups old fashioned oats
1 cup coconut flakes
1 egg white, whisked
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tbsp honey
1 cup chopped almonds, raw
2 tbsp brown sugar, packed
1/4 cup warmed coconut oil

Mix all ingredients together in a large bowl and bake at 300 at 40-45 min. You can take it out half way through and mix the granola to break up the pieces. Then return to oven. Let cool before putting it into a container for storage.

Granola and blueberries with coconut milk

I add some fruit and coconut milk to make a delicious healthy breakfast. 1 serving is roughly 1/3 of a cup. Enjoy!

-Akemi-chan

No comments: