Monday, July 1, 2013

Black and Chambray/ Jarling's Custard Cup

Things are heating up in Champaign. Festivals are popping up every other week, the farmer's market is in full swing and people are hitting the local pools and lakes. My hair is getting it's Summer frizz back and I'll take any excuse to wear dresses, skirts and sandals. Raise the hemlines for my short legs! It's Summer!

Chin-chillin with Vinny

Button-up shirt: Forever 21
Dress: L
Belt: Banana Republic
Shoes: Two Lips
Necklace: H&M

 I've been addicted to soft serve ice cream and frozen yogurt lately, and why not? Whether it's Dairy Queen's Blizzards, McDonalds' vanilla cones, Steak N Shake's milkshakes or the make-your-own frozen yogurt places, I'm hooked. If I could go every night, I would!

One thing that is relatively new to me is custard. I never heard of custard until I came to Illinois. I believe the first time was with Boyfriend, his Mom and Stepdad at Culver's. From my understanding it's kind of like a richer, creamier soft serve, but I just like it because it tastes good. 

A local favorite is Jarling's Custard Cup. This little piece of nostalgia is only open during the Summer months and it is in high demand. It's just a little building 10 minutes from our house and it's covered in classic ice cream shop memorabilia, handmade signs and company t-shirts. 


They have "Snowstorms" not unlike DQ's Blizzards or Culver's concretes, where you take custard and mix in your desired ingredients to make a thick and creamy mixed concoction. This is normally what I get at Jarling's, but I wanted to mix things up.

I had never heard of Green River before. My Mom said she used to have it as a kid, so it's not really from my generation, but they still have it in some small shops scattered around the Midwest. It's a like a sugary, bright green lemon lime drink. Not as light and bubbly as 7up but not as intense as Mountain Dew. When they had a float version, I knew I had to try it. Bottom's up!

Green river float

Boyfriend opted for a custard cup with fudge, caramel and strawberries. Can't beat the classics.


Neon green deliciousness

I haven't been to Jarling's in a while before this Summer and just writing this post makes me want to head out for ice cream. But alas, I'm at work again waiting for delayed planes and by the time I get out of here they'll be closed. Maybe I should start implementing a new dessert/ ice cream for breakfast phase just for the Summer. If someone says that nothing tastes as good as skinny feels, they're terribly mistaken. 

-Akemi-chan

No comments: