Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Blueberry Cobbler

I had never made cobbler before. It seemed like the kind of dessert I'd enjoy, but was never properly introduced to it. I love fruit desserts; crumbles, pies, parfaits, cakes. But I'm more familiar with cookies rather than any of the previously mentioned sweets.

Boyfriend spent a day in Chicago and I missed him. As silly as it sounds, I tend to feel a little lost when he's gone, since there's no one to cook for. So if I'm home and he's on his way back, I make it a point to make something special for his arrival. Since he loves blueberries, it seemed only natural to take a chance on a classic.


Blueberry Cobbler



2 1/2 cups fresh blueberries
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp white vinegar
1 cup sugar
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp all purpose flour
1 tbsp butter melted
1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
4 tsp baking powder
6 tbsp white sugar
5 tbsp butter
1 cup milk
2 tsp sugar


Lightly grease a 8 x 8 casserole dish. Place blueberries, vanilla extract and vinegar in dish. Mix to cover berries with liquid. Cover berries with 1 cup of white sugar and 1/2 tsp flour and salt and melted butter. Mix to cover berries.

In a medium bowl stir together 1 3/4 cup flour, baking powder, and 6 tbsp sugar. Mix 5 tbsp cold butter into dry mixture. You can use yours hands to break it up or a fork. Make a well in the middle of the flour mixture, then pour milk into well. Mix immediately. The batter will be a little wet. Cover and refrigerate for 10 minutes.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Remove better from fridge and dollop onto blueberries in dish. Do not cover the whole surface of the dish, leave some holes. There may be some extra batter. Sprinkle sugar over top of batter and bake for 30-30 minutes or until the top turns golden brown. Cool until warm, then serve with alone or with ice cream.

Look at those blueberries!

Sugary, pillowy crust

Ala mode, of course


The cobbler was a great hit. We went to a small house gathering when Boyfriend got back and it was as yummy as I expected it to be. Boyfriend and I had no problem scarfing down the leftovers. Can't really go wrong with sugar on berries right? I think that more cobblers will be in my future, and it is peach season...

-Akemi-chan

No comments: