Sunday, July 7, 2013

Zucchini Wrapped Salmon

I love salmon, it just speaks to me. It's rich, flavorful and relatively healthy. I rarely need an excuse to eat salmon, but I find it hard to eat seafood in the middle of a corn field. However, when Michael Symon made a zucchini wrapped salmon on The Chew, I was in love. Zucchini and salmon seemed like the perfect combination. Here's my attempt to make the Iron Chef's dish.


Zucchini Wrapped Salmon (for one)

1 piece of salmon
1/2 large zucchini
1 tbsp Dijon mustard
1 tsp chopped green onion
1 tsp dill
2 tbsp olive oil
salt and pepper to taste

Slice zucchini length-wise with mandolin or vegetable peeler. Lay zucchini on a sheet of plastic wrap, slight overlay so they wrap nicely. Keep layering until you have enough to cover the length of the salmon.



Place salmon on top of zucchini and brush the salmon with mustard and season with green onion, dill, salt and pepper. 


Use plastic wrap as a guide to wrap the salmon in the zucchini. Do not include plastic in the "wrap."


Heat a medium saute pan over medium heat and add olive oil. When oil is heated, place the zucchini wrapped salmon into pan, seam-side down. Sear wrap on both sides until golden brown and salmon is cooked to desired doneness.


The original recipe included a radish salad, so i improvised and made a sauteed one with onions and placed it on top of some romaine.

Blurry :-(

The dish turned out good. Another great dish for the sunnier (but not super hot) months. Next time I'd add a little more herbs to season the fish. Either way, I had a nice little moment to myself with a special meal.

-Akemi-chan

No comments: