Friday, July 5, 2013

The Wedge

If you had never been to Champaign-Urbana before, you may be surprised how many Mexican restaurants we have in town. For a college town in the middle of cornfields in Central Illinois, I wasn't expecting so many great Mexican places, but there 

The Wedge is one of the newest places in town. No very well known yet, but they are owned by a company that has a successful reputation for Mexican food in this town. The Wedge advertises itself as a Tequila bar with food and they do it proudly. 

"Take like with a grain of salt... and several shots of tequila"

We have arrived

Beinvenido!

Table right next to the window and the bar. Nice!

Since this was another weekend afternoon date, I couldn't indulge in a cocktail, though I did sample some of Boyfriend's. It was light, refreshing and delicious. It might have been the best margarita I ever had. It had tequila infused with bell pepper and cucumber with triple sec, agave and lime juice. YUM-O!

Fresco Maragarita

Why not have old tequila bottles decorate your windowsill?

Our light lunch started with the Yucateacan ceviche, a mixture of shrimp, avocado, mango, cucumber, and jicama.

Yucateacan ceviche

Next we split the "appetizer" Taco Sampler. The normal taco meal comes with two tacos and a side of beans and rice. But let's not kid ourselves. I don't want the beans and rice. Let's go straight to the good stuff.

The great part about the sampler is you get to choose which tacos you want. Any five off their menu. We ordered a Pastor (pork), Camaron (shrimp), Estillo Baja (Tilapia), Lengua (cow tongue), and a Calabacitas (zucchini). Happiness on a plate.

Make your own Taco Sampler appetizer

In order from left to right: Tilapia, beef tongue, pork, zucchini and shrimp


Honestly, dessert was subpar. I kinda tasted like it was from the grocery store freezer section, but I can forgive thanks to the delicious fares from earlier in the meal. Besides, what was I thinking ordering a chocolate Oreo cheesecake at a Mexican place?

Chocolate cheesecake with Oreos, meh

Overall, I liked The Wedge. The cocktail blew my mind, the ceviche was refreshing and the taco platter was a wonderful way to sample five great dishes on one plate. We definitely plan on returning and this time I'll get my own margarita.

-Akemi-chan

No comments: