Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Pampered Tuesday? Purple Sparkle/ Butternut Squash Penne

This week, I missed Pampered Sunday. Too wrapped up in football and work to remember to do nails Not to mention the open to close shift the day before. So now, it's time to make up for my slack.

I have to work today, but that doesn't mean there shouldn't be any beauty flare. This month I ordered some sparkly nail polish from Forever 21 and purple on purple on purple sounds perfect for Fall.

Sally Hansen's Complete Manicure in Commander in Chic, Wet N Wild's Megalast in Disturbia, and Forever 21's Love and Beauty in Fuschia/ Silver sparkle. (Oh! and Billy Ray Cyrus on The Chew)


I painted the ring fingers in Disturbia with two layers of Fuschia/ Silver. The other nails are in Commander in Chic. This ring finger in a different color has been a trend for a while, and I kind of like it. It gives you some creativity to play with colors and textures. An easy alternative for those who don't have a very steady hand (like me).

I also joined Pinterest to get more daily inspiration for food and beauty. Found this hairstyle today.


I've always loved the texture and dimension that these blonde girls have. And though I cannot get the depth she's achieved, I figured I'd give it a shot. Thanks to the high winds and jet blast, the more secure my hair is, the better.


Golden eye shadows, charcoal eyeliner under the eye and black mascara accompany my front/ side pony.



Speaking of inspiration, Giada De Laurentis... that is all. I love me some Giada. She's gorgeous, adorable, talented, and she makes food that I drool over. Last week Food Network aired an episode of Giada at Home where she made Penne with Butternut Squash and Goat Cheese. Yes please! Here's my interpretation.

Butternut Squash Penne

2 lb butternut squash (I got a 2.5 lb one and used about 3/4 of it)
1 large onion
olive oil
salt and pepper
1 lb whole wheat penne
1 small bunch of kale
1 clove garlic, minced
4 oz goat cheese
4 leaves of basil, chiffonade
grated parmesean (optional)

Preheat oven to 425 degrees with oven rack in top third of oven. Cut butternut squash into 3/4 inch cubes. I used a serrated knife to cut the squash. It really helped since the skin is tough. Cut onion into 1/2 inch pieces. Spray baking sheet with non-stick spray and place squash and onion onto pan. Add olive oil and salt and pepper. Roast in oven for about 40 minutes until squash is tender. Cool on rack.

Butternut squash and onions roasting in oven

While squash is cooling, cook pasta until al dente (don't forget to salt water). While waiting for water to boil, remove kale leaves from the stem and cut into small pieces. Then, saute kale in a small saute pan with salt, pepper, olive oil and garlic. When kale is slightly wilted and glossy, place in a large serving bowl with squash and onions.

Butternut squash and onions after roasting

When pasta is done, take a slotted spoon or spider and fish out pasta into serving bowl. Crumble goat cheese into serving bowl. Ladle some pasta water into serving bowl. The hot, salted, starchy pasta water will melt the goat cheese to form a tangy, creamy sauce. Toss the pasta, cheese, squash, onion and kale to evenly coat mixture and evenly distribute ingredients. Serve and top with basil and freshly grated parmesean cheese.
Family style

Boyfriend and I gobbled this up. It was soooo good. Creamy, comforting and filling. "The best pasta you made."-Boyfriend :-P Enjoy, we sure did.

-Akemi-chan

No comments: