Sunday, November 25, 2012

Hawaii Day 5

Day five was a full of food, food and more food. Bestie and I had a sleepover the night before and woke up bright and early for breakfast. We walked across the street to Zippy's to fulfill our cravings for Portuguese sausage.

Portuguese sausage is a Hawaii staple and when it comes to breakfast, no bacon strip or ham steak can compare. The typical breakfast plate in Hawaii consists of sliced, pan fried Portuguese sausage, eggs and white rice. Bestie and I split a plate and a plate of sweetbread French toast.



Bestie and I then drove to Aina haina to a cupcake shop called Cake Couture. This was an adorable little shop with beautiful cupcakes. Adorable.


Bestie and I splurged on a key lime cupcake and a red velvet cheesecake. Of course we needed something to wash down our tasty treats with, so we walked next door to a coffee shop where I got a vanilla macadamia nut coffee and Bestie got a cafe Americano.

Little pillows of sweet perfection

By far, the key lime was the most amazing cupcake I have ever eaten. It was moist and full of fresh lime zest. Not to mention the icing that was beyond creamy.


Later, I met up with an old high school friend to take a stroll down Waikiki. One of the benefits of living in a tourist destination, is you, yourself can play tourist on occasion. We walked around the International Marketplace to a hot dog stand called Hula/ Puka Dog.

Playing tourist

My surfer friend next to the surf board menu

That's how they toast the buns

I've been meaning to stop by Puka dog for a while, thanks to a co-worker's recommendation. The core concept is a hot dog tucked into a sleeve-like bun and topped with tropical relish.


My friend and I split a Polish dog in a taro bacon bun, topped with hot garlic, pineapple and guava sauces. Delicious.

Last but not least, I met up with my college friends and we all went out for teppanyaki at Sorabol. The grill-your-own-meat and assemble lettuce wraps makes this Korean restaurant a favorite. The late hours make it a frequent hot spot for the after bar crowd. To spare the guys from my excessive food picture taking, I didn't document the food or the good times, but you can be assured it was fabulous.

-Akemi-chan

No comments: