Sunday, November 11, 2012

Beautiful Day to be Stuck at Work

Saturday in central Illinois had a high of 74 and a low of 50 and everyone was very excited... except for me. Though I love the ideal 70 degree pocket of Fall weather, Saturday was the day I decided to pull a double and work from 6 am til 11pm.

When I get home, I'm going to change into something other than pleated, high-waisted pants and work boots and slip into a bottle of wine. After all, it is Saturday night and a girl's gotta have some fun.

I've been on the edge of my seat for the past month because I'm going to be home for my favorite holiday: Thanksgiving. I have not spent a Thanksgiving with my family since 2008 and all of my college friends will be on Oahu for the festivities, so it's double the fun and double the food. 

Thanksgiving has been my favorite holiday for a while. Ever since I grew out of that, "OMG, I have to rip open every present in this house!," Christmas stage, I grew to appreciate the wonderful things about America's day of thanks. 

Thanksgiving embraces everything that I love about my family; hanging out in the garage while my men smoke cigars and watch sports, the women chatting in the kitchen about everything from kids to pop culture, the laughs, the laid back comfort, and of course the food. 

Since Hawaii is a melting pot of American, Asian and Polynesian cultures, the spread at any potluck or party is diverse and delicious. Traditional fare like turkey, ham and stuffing, punctuated with ethnic touches like sushi, poi, noodle salads, and edamame. Not to mention fresh regional favorites like shrimp, fresh fish and Kahuku sweet corn. It's like having a fancy Vegas buffet in the comfort of home. 

What do you expect? We got a lot of mouths to feed, since my extended family consists of about 100 people.

I can't wait, so excited. I was literally shaking when I finally got all of my shifts covered to make the trip. Then again, it could have been the caffeine or the sleep deprivation. Either way, I'm coming home!

-Akemi-chan

No comments: