Saturday, November 17, 2012

Hawaii Day 2

Last night I got to meet up with my college friends. Lot of laughs. We met for cocktails and dinner and post-dinner cocktails. Can you tell that we were bar buddies? I drove from my parents house to downtown Honolulu and forgot how terrible traffic can be on the island. 

One thing that I don't miss about home: Rush hour traffic

I got to wear my new long sleeve shift dress from Eden in Love. Even though the environment and my friends are fairly casual, I can't turn down an opportunity to dress up, even if I stick out like a sore thumb. I also managed to borrow my Mom's espresso wedges, helping to give a more casual hippie vibe to my outfit.

Silk dress: Under Skies
Necklace: Express

Belt: Banana Republic
Wedges: Nine west

Me and my bestie and my lychee cocktail

I had so much fun, but this broad is getting old and she had to turn in before 2 am. Jet lag probably doesn't help. But the two martinis had were delicious. At least I got to spend some extra time with my best friend, visiting from San Francisco. Sleepover!



Today, my parents and I went on another lunch and shopping combo. We ate at one of my favorite restaurants: Kunio. It's a small little Japanese restaurant in the outlet mall I used to work at. 

Pre-meal goodies

Vegetable tempura and unagi bento box

After hitting a few favorite shops at the outlet mall (and scoring some new items), Mom and I even managed to make dinner for the family. My roasted red bell pepper soup with spicy sausage addition and turkey caprese paninis. Lovely soup and sandwich combo. 

 Love that turkey, pepperjack, habanero sausage. 

I'm usually not a huge dessert person, but when my Mom and I get together, there's no holding us back. For one more bite, my family and I headed to Zippy's a local Hawaiian diner chain; a favorite among locals.

Next stop Zippy's

Mom and I shared a banana split while my Dad had an apple napple, a flaky pastry made of apple pie filling inside a puff pastry wrap. My brother decided to get some saimin, a local style Japanese ramen. I guess he wasn't on the dessert train with the rest of us. 

Our treats and Mom peaking out from behind our confection

It's been a long day, and even though it's Saturday night, I have to hit the hay. I'm way too tired to go out on the town, but there's always tomorrow.

-Akemi-chan

No comments: