Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Flying back to Champaign

It's been an eventful and wonderful week in Hawaii, but all good things must come to an end. I left Honolulu to fly back to Champaign, Illinois on Black Friday. It's usually an emotional flight leaving Honolulu, but this one was especially hard.

This is my first Thanksgiving home in at least three years and so many things have happened since that time. My niece Kailee was born, my Grandfather passed away, people getting married, a cancelled wedding, friends and family moving back to Hawaii and moving away from Hawaii. Bob Dylan was right, "Oh, the times, they are a changing."

Flying to Honolulu took approximately 11 hours including the layover. On the way back, it took about 16 hours, ugh. One layover in LAX and another in ORD. I'm very thankful there were no delays.

The descent into Los Angeles was amazing. It was incredibly foggy, but the clouds were so low that the skyscrapers were peaking out from the mist. Unfortunately I didn't get a picture, but it looked like downtown LA was emerging from a cloud lit by Christmas lights. Gorgeous. 

Foggy Los Angeles

Next stop Chicago. I miss O'Hare International airport. Since American Eagle flies to Dallas, I hardly get to fly through Chicago when I'm heading west. But on my way home, I get to sped some time in Terminal 3. 

It's like Home Alone all over again

One of my favorite spots to relax in ORD is Argo Tea. I, admittedly, am not the biggest coffee fan. My whole family takes their coffee black and boyfriend can drink a whole pot of coffee in one siting. For me, not so much. I'm a tea girl. Luckily for me, Argo Tea is began serving a new hot tea drink called Ginger Peach Spice Tea. Sooooo good. Hot, spicy, soothing and a little sweet, not to mention the ginger tickles the tongue. A perfect accompaniment to my Egg McMuffin.

Breakfast of champions

Fluffy cloud over Central Illinois

While waiting in the multiple airports, I managed to finish the third book of the Sunny McCoskey Napa Valley Mystery series. Sunny only got me through a few flights and layovers before she solved the mystery. It's a rare occasion that I pick up a book, finish half of it, pick it up again and finish the rest. It's those easy to read mystery novels that makes the time fly, so I had to switch it up.

Book three, complete

A few months ago, my Mother attended a fashion show/ live makeover at a mall in Honolulu. The show was hosted by stylist Clinton Kelly, one of the stars of our favorite show, The Chew and co-host of What Now to Wear. I've been watching The Chew every day for several months and been following WNTW since I was in Middle School. Needless to say, I love Clinton Kelly... and so does Mom.

Luckily for me, my Mom bought his book Oh No She Didn't, and even scored me an autograph. Sweet! I can't believe she got to meet him. Initiate jealous scowl.

The fabulous Mr. Kelly

Hey! That's me!

This book is hilarious with a capital H. Addressing the common fashion faux pas with an aggressive, yet kooky sense of humor, Kelly's chapters are paired with an equally obscene and funny pictures. I almost busted out laughing in the middle of my 30 minute flight from Chicago to Central Illinois.

-Akemi-chan

No comments: