Saturday, October 13, 2012

Saturday Afternoon Hobby- Geocaching

A year or two ago, boyfriend took me to a local business to snoop around the property because a website gave him the GPS coordinates. I thought he was crazy. Immediately I thought this "geocaching" was a far-fetched, silly hobby.

I am a naturally fearful and paranoid person. If I get anywhere near feeling uncomfortable I unwillingly play scenarios in my head in which I fall and hurt myself or get caught by police for some offense I didn't know existed. Therefore, going onto a private business' property and suspiciously looking under rocks and in trees only spiked my feelings of trespassing. 

Recently, we decided to revisit the notion and it ignited a buried flame brought on by childhood scavenger hunts and treasure hunting.

Geocaching is a great way of exploring an area with a alternate agenda: finding a hidden log and make your mark to subsequently say "I was here." There are many types of "caches" including ones that are rolled up and smaller than a miniature pencil. Others as large as a camo-lock box with knick-knacks for trading. There's a website and even an app to track your GPS coordinates in reference to local caches.  

Boyfriend and I have made geocaching our weekly Saturday afternoon hobby and a great way to explore the town we live in and any other towns we may visit. I highly recommend trying it. May your inner treasure hunter flourish. 

Meadowbrook park: spotted beaver dam and deer

Random park: wildlife exploring

PS: great opportunity for pictures of architecture, landscape and nature.

-Akemi-chan

No comments: