Sunday, October 21, 2012

Pampered Sunday- Green Swirls

This Sunday I'm feeling white gold and green. This is in honor of Shonn Greene (of the New York Jets) who had a great game last week and brought me close to a victory, even though I lost, bleh.

I few months ago, I found a nail design technique on Youtube that was so beautiful and inspiring: the swirl/ marble technique. The design is beautiful, but I like the minimalist approach of only doing one of the five nails on each hand. It makes the color and pattern stand out.

Starting with Sephora by O.P.I.'s Keep Me on My Mistletoes for all nails and a base coat for the swirl. For the swirl I used Wet N' Wild's Fast Dry in SaGreena the Teenage Witch, Sephora by O.P.I.'s Already Famous, Forever 21's Love and Beauty in N9111 and Forever 21 love and Beauty's Glow in the Dark series' Neon Green. 

Can you see the game in the background? :-P

Take a small disposable cup and fill it with room temperature water. Take the assorted nail colors and drop colors into the water. The polishes will stay floating at the top of the water. I used concentric circles in this design, but the choice is up to you.

You can also do random spots of color instead of "target" effect

Take a tooth pick and draw lines across polish colors to create design, kind of like swirls of chocolate on top of a cheesecake. After desired pattern is reached, take finger (nail facing down) and dip into pattern.

You can use Scotch tape to keep fingers clean

Take the same toothpick and touch all remaining nail polish that is floating on the surface of water. This will gather the rest of the polish so it does not collect on your current design. 

My mini pirate sword doing the clean up

When you remove your nail from the water, it will be covered in polish. Take a Q-tip, dipped in nail polish remover to clean up your manicure. Like the Youtube video, you can continue with the rest of your nails, but I only did my ring finger tips.
Every swirl is different, but that's half the fun

For the hair, I love half-up, half-down styles. Sometimes it gets a little boring just wearing your hair down, and what better way to get the hair out of your face, than a simple braid. 

Squishy face

Going with the green, I threw on some sea-foam earrings, green eye shadows and green t-shirt to brighten up a brown cardigan, jeans and fuzzy sheepskin boots.

-Akemi-chan

No comments: