Sunday, October 28, 2012

Pampered Sunday- Green/ Turkey, Potato and Kale Soup

Last week I finished A Feast for Crows, the fourth book in the Song of Fire and Ice series (better known as Game of Thrones). Let me tell you, these books are intense, so I needed a break. Let's hit the easy, juicy stuff: mystery novel here I come!

Death by the Glass, the second installment of the Sunny McCoskey mystery novels, was my noncommittal relief. After reading the description of the first novel in the series, I knew this was right up my alley. 

Wine, Nomz and Murder. What more can a girl ask for?

The lovable and driven, yet meddlesome, Miss McCoskey is a young chef in Napa Valley, where the latest scandal is usually hot, but occasionally it's served up as cold as the dead. The easy to read novels have charming characters, picturesque landscapes, keep-you-guessing plot and food and drink that will make you salivate onto your Kindle (mine goes by Kindo, rescuer of loneliness and boredom). What else would you expect from wine country?

And since we're doing a quick read, let's top it off with a quick manicure. Thanks to Wet N Wild's fast-dry series, I can have a perfectly shiny coat of SaGreena the Teenage Witch on my tips in the matter of three chapters. 

SaGreena and her buddy Kindo

Look at that gorgeous deep green! That reminds me, I have kale from the market. What to do? What would Sunny do? Aha! How about a soup?

Spicy Turkey and Kale Soup

  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 onion, diced
  • 1 lb ground turkey
  • 3 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1/4 tsp crushed red-pepper flakes
  • 1 14.5 oz can of diced tomatoes
  • 1 15.5 oz can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
  • 1 32oz carton of  reduced-sodium chicken broth
  • 3 small bay leaves
  • 1 bunch kale, stemmed and shredded
  • salt and pepper to taste

In a large pot, heat oil over medium. Add onion and cook until soft, stirring, 2-3 minutes. Add turkey, garlic, red-pepper flakes, salt and pepper; cook until turkey is browned, 5-7 minutes.Add chickpeas, tomatoes, bay leaves and broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and cover; simmer about 10-15 minutes. Remove bay leaves, add kale; simmer for another 10 minutes.



Now, how long will I hang out with Sunny in Northern California before I head back to King's Landing? After all, Winter is coming....


-Akemi-Chan

No comments: