Thursday, October 25, 2012

ABC: Avocado, Brie and Caramelized Onion Sandwich

A few years ago, boyfriend's friend introduced me to what he referred to as an "ABC sandwich." This concoction consisted of avocado, bacon and cheese on a loaf of french bread. It was life changing-ly delicious. However, I'm not the biggest bacon fan.

I know, I know. I get a lot of criticism for being underwhelmed by America's favorite pig product, but I don't ever being under bacon's spell. In my opinion it's not worth the calories or the high price at the market. Although I do not hate bacon, I tend to pick it off my burgers, sandwiches and salads and place it in boyfriend's plate instead, which he is more than happy the oblige.

So in honor of the ABC sandwich that inspired me, we're going to kick thing up a bit and replace the "B" of bacon for brie cheese and replace the "C" of cheese with some caramelized onions.

ABC: Avocado, Brie and Caramelized Onion

1 tbsp butter
1/2 onion, thinly sliced
1/2 avocado
2 oz brie cheese, sliced (or any cheese of your choosing)
2 sliced of bread of your choosing
salt and pepper to taste


In a saute pan over medium-low heat, melt butter. Place sliced onions into pan and slowly let them caramelize, around 45 minutes. Stir rarely to help caramelize, salt and pepper.


Meanwhile, toast bread in toaster oven. After bread is barely toasted, add brie and toast again until cheese begins to melt. Add caramelized onions on top of cheese.

Slice avocado while still in skin and scoop out with a spoon. Place avocado slices onto onions and add salt and pepper to taste. Top with remaining piece of toast.


This is an open-faced sandwich, but you can make it a traditional sandwich by putting another piece of toast on avocado. You can also substitute the brie for pepperjack if you want a little spice, though it wouldn't be an ABC sandiwich anymore. Oh, the things we do for flavor.

-Akemi-chan


No comments: