Thursday, October 18, 2012

Our Annual Fall Stay-cation

Since I've been employed at American Eagle Airlines, my perception of vacation has drastically changed. The vacations of my childhood meant a week or two of Disneyland and other California destinations. Vacations of my young adulthood were mostly Christmas trips to Las Vegas thanks to my cousin attending UNLV. My current views on vacation mostly consist of  2-3 days every other month and going to new destinations, old favorites or making a mini stay-cation out of a long "weekend". This stay-cation marked the beginning of Fall and that means our annual trip to Curtis Orchard.

Curtis Orchard is a local apple orchard and pumpkin patch here in Champaign county and boyfriend and I are in love with this place. It's a family destination of hay rides, apple and pumpkin picking, a country store and an adorable little cafeteria. Did I mention the Wizard of Oz theme? WHAT?


In the matter of a week, boyfriend and I have been to the orchard twice. We can't get enough of the atmosphere, the friendly people and of course, the food. Award winning apple cider; hot, cold or our favorite slushie-form. Apple donuts, apple fritters, pumpkin pie, freshly picked apples, picking out your own pumpkin from the patch, house-made salad dressings, jellies, jams, preserves, bbq sauces, butters, the possibilities are endless.

We picked up a handful of indian corn to decorate the house, a pumpkin bigger than boyfriend's head, two apple cider slushies, half a dozen apple donuts, and our favorite chipotle apple barbecue sauce.

I wouldn't be surprised if we visit Curtis Orchard again before the season is over, especially since we have to get a gallon of cider for our Captian Morgan and apple cider cocktail party. YUM! Until then, it's nice to support a local business that gives us so many fond memories.

-Akemi-chan

No comments: