Thursday, October 25, 2012

Pumpkin Carving/ Apple Cider Cocktail

Last year, boyfriend and I attended a casual game night at our friends' home. Since it was Fall, we decided to be seasonal and make a cocktail from apple cider and Captain Morgan spiced rum. The sweet, fresh flavor of the apple cider, mixed with the warmth from the cinnamon and a flavorful kick from the spiced rum was a huge hit and gave birth to my favorite fall cocktail.

I must warm you to be cautious. We discovered that the sweetness and full flavor of the apple cider easily masks the sting of the alcohol. Consume wisely, last year the cocktails were equal parts cider and rum and we couldn't tell the difference.


Apple Cider Cocktail

1 gallon apple cider
3 apples, sliced (optional)
2 tbsp cinnamon (optional)
Spiced rum, to taste 


Pour first three ingredients into a large slow cooker on low heat. Heat through to incorporate flavors, this can take a while. Can also use sauce pan on stove for smaller portions. Add spiced rum to glass to your preference, completely optional. Add apple cider mixture to rum and mix well. Add a splash of lemon juice, if desired, to cut through sweetness.


Last night's festivities included pumpkin carving, which we were all psyched about. This is my second year scraping out the guts of a pumpkin, and let me tell you, I love it! I really get in there and scoop that stuff like it was my life on the line. There aren't too many festive and cathartic activities, but sticking your hand into a pumpkin and pulling out the slimy strings and seeds can sure do the soul good.

Me and the precious

Everyone decided to go the traditional route and carve their pumpkins into Jack O' Lanterns. But boyfriend and I wanted to get our nerd on. Enter video game reference.

Our inspiration

Though I personally have never played Portal or Portal 2, I know it's a game near and dear to boyfriend's heart, so why not have some fun with it? No one wants a carved pumpkin that isn't fun.

The troops at work. And.....

The finished products

Don't they look great? Our friends gave their pumpkins a cute smiley face with a tooth, a large creepy grin and what I can only guess is a deranged mustached clown.... or that's how I perceived it after a few mugs of the cider cocktail.


-Akemi-chan

No comments: