Wednesday, May 1, 2013

A Hawaiian Week in April Part 3

This final post from Hawaii is all from one day: our last full day. Boyfriend and I spent most of the day by ourselves roaming the North Shore, and for those who are familiar that that part of the island, you know there are no shortage of picture opportunities. 

Yeah, I had cake for lunch

Geo-caching our way through the North Shore

People jumping off the Haleiwa bridge

Nom turtle nom






Walking the trails at the Pu'u o Mahuka Heiau



Waimea Bay




Rockin' graffiti 


Making fun of Instagram

After a long day of driving, hiking and walking on rocks, we were hungry! Historic Haleiwa town used to have a restaurant called Rosie's Cantina. My family and I frequently visited this Mexican joint for our weekly post-beach dinner. What is it about the beach that makes you crave Mexican food? Sadly, Rosie's closed a while ago and has been replaced by another Mexican/ Latino restaurant that Boyfriend and I decided to investigate.

I have so many vivid memories of Rosie's: the chips, the salsa, the decor, etc. I couldn't believe how different the current restaurant, Luibuneo's, was, despite it's familiar feeling. The bar was moved and completely redone, the decor was casually sophisticated and the menu was impressively creative.

Dinner at Luibueno's, GUAC!

Boyfriend's Blackened Ahi burrito

My li hi mui margarita


My paella

Shrimp as big as your head

After dinner, we went from a sunset stroll around Haleiwa. As any local will tell you, Haleiwa is known for it's shave ice. I repeat SHAVE ice. Not shaved ice, not Hawaiian ice, not  snow cone... shave ice. The most famous place is Matsumoto's, visited by celebrities and locals alike. I remember being a kid, coming back from the beach and getting the biggest shave ice I could possibly hold. Minutes later my arm would be dripping with colorful syrup because I couldn't consume it fast enough and the heat took its toll on my sugary treat. But the thing I remember the most is that there is always a ridiculously long line. Luckily there are other options available. 

Aoki shave ice is another popular option, visited by locals since it has the same casual North Shore feel without the excess hype and not so long lines. Unfortunately I found out from my local friends' Facebook feed that Aoki's will be closing up shop after 32 years. Boyfriend and I stopped in for our last chance to show our Aloha for Aoki's before it closes in May of this year. Of course, I had to get the Rainbow flavor (Starwberry, Lemon and Pineapple) with vanilla ice cream. Plus, I didn't have to worry about drips thanks to these new "flower" holders/ catchers, genius!

A North Shore classic is closing. One last hurrah at Aoki's Shave Ice


This may be the longest time I've spent at home since I moved to Illinois: eight whole days. I'm so glad we were able to come back, even though it wasn't originally part of our plans. I'm really happy we got to spend time with friends and family. We originally wanted to spend some time on a neighbor island, but I think we made the most of this vacation. 'Til next time.

-Akemi chan

1 comment:

Adriana said...

Even the freaking graffiti is better in Hawaii.