Monday, May 6, 2013

Cinco de Mayo/ Pulled Pork Tacos with Salsa Verde

Feliz [late] Cinco de Mayo! The way I see Cinco de Mayo is like how many American's see it: a reason to celebrate another country's "culture" without any real reason or occasion. Kind of like St Patrick's day. It's unauthentic and kind of insulting how we incorrectly intemperate a culture and slap a day on a calendar to provoke stereotypes for the sake of drinking. But I guess I'll take any reason to eat some avocados.

It's funny,  I took Spanish in college for 4 semesters and I still pretend that Cinco de Mayo actually means something. I know to most people it's just an excuse to throw back the Coronas and tequila. However, I'm trying to limit my alcohol consumption to one a week, so we just went with dinner. Although I do make a pretty mean watermelon margarita. 


Pulled Pork Tacos

1 1/2 cups of pulled pork
6 taco sized tortillas, I used flour
1 tsp olive oil
1/2 medium onion, sliced
1 green bell pepper, sliced
salsa verde (see recipe below)
cilantro for garnish

In a non stick skillet, saute onions and peppers in olive oil. Cook until they start to get soft. Add pulled pork and saute until pork becomes crispy. Assemble tacos using tortillas, pulled pork/ veggies mixture, salsa and cilantro. You can also add cheese or hot sauce. 



My salsa in the fridge next to my coconut water

Salsa Verde

4 medium tomatillos, husked and rinsed
1 small onion, diced
1/2 large jalapeno or 1 small jalapeno, take out ribs and seeds
1 garlic clove
1 handful of cilantro, about 5-6 stems worth
1 large lime, zested and juiced
salt

Place all ingredients in a food processor and blend until smooth. The sauce comes out kind of watery, so you can strain it if you like. It has just a little kick from the pepper, but not much, so if you like it spicy don't take out the seeds.

Salsa ingredients

Tomatillo husks

I had never worked with tomatillos before, but I think the salsa turned out pretty good. It was a little funny working with an ingredient that is so foreign to me. I remember seeing them at the grocery store but was always justifying not purchasing them due to my inexperience and lack of recipe. After all, I'm no expert in Mexican cuisine. Now I can say that I love them. They were delicioso and the perfect compliment to the crispy pork. Que bueno!

-Akemi-chan

No comments: