Thursday, May 2, 2013

Banana Peanut Butter Chia "Ice Cream"

For my birthday I received some Amazon gift cards from Boyfriend's family. It was very nice and generous and appropriate considering my new found love for online shopping.

Before I moved to the Midwest I never ordered anything online. The shipping pricing alone were too ridiculous to pay thanks to living on the islands. Secondly, I had weird personal feelings about indulging myself with instant gratification and how it would only end in regret. Not anymore!

It probably sounds odd, but I purchased a combination of flax seeds, psylium husks, chia seeds and coconut oil with my birthday gift cards. Yeah, who needs a pair of new pumps when you can have several ingredients for a power smoothie?

My smoothie making has been at an all time high and I couldn't wait to find new ways to use my new pantry additions. Since chia seeds have a slight nutty flavor, I thought dessert would be a good start.

I was inspired by my mom's kitchen toys called Yonanas, a machine that makes soft serve from frozen fruits. I remember her talking it up and of course I had to try it. The mixture of frozen bananas and fruit was pleasantly sweet like ice cream without being loaded with sugar and butter. Since I don't have a Yonana and have no room for it in my kitchen, we'll have to make banana soft serve in a less specific device.



Banana Peanut Butter Chia "Ice Cream"

3 bananas, sliced and frozen
2 tbsp peanut butter
2 tbsp milk
1 tbsp chia seeds
slivered almonds (optional)

Place all ingredients in a blender or food processor and blend until smooth. The original recipe I used didn't have chia seeds, but we're playing here. Also, the bananas were so thick that my blender had a hard time mixing, so I added milk to the recipe.

What a wonderful guilt free way of having dessert! Now that I have my ice cream replacement, my blender will have to work even harder on a daily basis.

-Akemi-chan

No comments: