Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Dinner and a Movie: The Great Gatsby

I have a confession. I was supposed to read The Great Gatsby in 11th grade for my English class. I gave a full book report not having read a single chapter of the classic book that is less than a quarter of a Song of Fire and Ice (aka Game of Thrones) novel. Needless to say, I didn't do so hot on the book report. Now it's time for redemption.

Boyfriend noticed that I've been anxiously awaiting the release of the new Baz Luhrmann version of Gatsby and decided to reinstate our Book-to-Movie club. Between Moulin Rouge and Romeo and Juliet, I got swept up in Luhrmann's fantastical and whimsical method of romantic storytelling. This only fueled my fire of returning to Gatsby and finding out what made this story so memorable. 



I must admit, I've been intrigued by the glamour and fashion of the 1920's, mostly through the perspective of movies. My first exposure was the nameless dancer in Singing in the Rain. I was instantly hypnotized by the sequins, the bob haircut and her long dancer's legs.

Dancer in green with Gene Kelly in Singin' in the Rain

When we studied the 1920's in history class, this time period became more intriguing. The attitude of carefree, boozy, partying and living the life was intoxicating. Of course, I was in high school at the time, so I didn't follow in their footsteps, but the freedom was bursting out of the pages of my textbooks. Yet, I feel the reason I feel particularly attached to this period is what comes afterward: the Great Depression. It kind of always stuck with me to live life to the fullest, but don't forget about the future. The good times don't last forever and as much fun as you allow yourself, you should be prepared for when times aren't as fantastic.

Cover of Life magazine in 1926

My fascination turned to adoration when Chicago came out in theaters and my love of musicals was rekindled. Again: the sequins, the dancing, the pearls and cloches. It all painted a beautifully fanciful picture of   living on the edge while still looking fabulous.

Catherine Zeta-Jones as Velma in Chicago

Now Gatsby has returned to the big screen with a brand new flock of gorgeous flapper dresses, sleek shiny haircuts and dapper suits that help me return to the 1920's.

Of course, because we're dorks, Boyfriend and I decided to dress up for the movie. I have this flapper-esque fringe skirt from a few years ago and this was the perfect excuse to wear it again.

Headband, bracelet and necklace: Forever 21
Tank: Zara
Skirt: Express
Shoes: Guess




For Dinner and a Movie, I didn't know what to make. For the most part there is very little eating in the book.  Then it hit me, all they do is party and drink. A classic cocktail for a classic story. So I guess this is more like Cocktail and a Movie.



Classic Mint Julep

3 oz Bourbon Whiskey
4-6 sprigs of mint leaves
1 tbsp sugar
cold water (optional)
crushed ice

Place mint and sugar into a glass and muddle to release it's flavor. Add bourbon, ice and water and stir well. Garnish with mint and serve.


Boyfriend and I both enjoyed the movie and thought it was a good interpretation of the book. Our only complaint was Tobey Maguire's lispy voice narrating the entire story. It was a little distracting. But other than that we enjoyed ourselves and spent the whole ride home talking about the book and movie. Another successful night for the Book-to-Movie Club.


-Akemi-chan

No comments: