Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Cracked Food Truck

As a child of Hawaii, I'm pro-food trucks. The completely mobile and casual yet delicious food without the hassle of waiting for a table, is a beautiful concept. Many American children can recall the blinding enthusiasm that overwhelms your body when you hear the ice cream truck circle the neighborhood. For me, I don't remember the ice cream truck, but the manapua (cha siu bao or pork steamed buns) truck. 

Food trucks have been sweeping the nation, taking advantage of the cross section between convenience and quality. One of the perfect locations for such culinary experimentation is on the campus of a huge university, just like the one I live next to. 

The Cracked truck is a breakfast inspired food truck, making savory sandwiches revolving around the egg. Boyfriend and I spent our lunch break with friend Evan, sampling the fares of Champaign's alumni recent business venture.  


My sandwich (on the middle right) was named Plan B, appropriately named since it is the only sandwich option that does not contain eggs. I really enjoy eggs, but it caught my eye with the sun dried tomatoes, green peppers, spinach, caramelized onions, cheese and hummus. Yup, no meat and still delicious. 

Boyfriend's choice was the Hungry Chief, a tip of the hat to the Illini. This huge breakfast burrito was packed with chorizo, hash browns, eggs, onions and cheese. I never thought it would be won over by hash browns in a burrito. I thought it would be too much starch, but the crunch from the potatoes was great. I might have to remake this with some roasted potatoes. YUM!

-Akemi-chan

No comments: