Sunday, May 26, 2013

Gardening for Food... and Football

I'm back from the east coast and it was like I never left. I arrived back in Champaign without any trouble with flights, thought I did catch the first flight out of Logan airport at 6:15 am and was basically a zombie for a few hours. I'm glad that I got to spend the week with my family to celebrate my brother's graduation from the University of Hawaii.

It's kind of weird and cute that all four of us (my Dad, Mom, brother and myself) all graduated from the same institution, but there's something to be said for consistency. Before I post things about the trip I'm going to talk about a little experiment Boyfriend and I have been tinkering with: gardening.

As commissioner of our fantasy football league, Boyfriend has taken the initiative to provide challenges to determine the draft order of our league. Last year it was the Little League World Series, this year it's gardening. Each player must grow a plant and measure it's height, unsupported. Tallest plant by August gets pick of their choice in the draft.

I never grew anything before. We had a garden when I was younger, but I was never solely responsible for taking care of the plants. This time, in addition to our official fantasy football contestants (a sunflower), Boyfriend and I planted some herbs and veggies for cooking.


The first little sprouts of kale

My beautiful sunflower... hopefully

It's Spring, so that means rain. Not as much sunshine as I was hoping, but I'll take it. As long as my plants don't drown and they continues to grow, I'll be happy. Hopefully my sunflower will bloom and my herbs will be plentiful for noms.

Don't worry, New York and Boston pictures are on their way.

-Akemi-chan

No comments: