Monday, April 29, 2013

A Hawaiian Week in April Part 2

Before we get into the pictures, I wanted to share a meal my Mom and I whipped together one afternoon. I want to cook for my family, but between the fresh, local and affordable ingredients in Illinois and the expensive, shipped stuff in the Hawaii grocery, it gives me anxiety. I never cooked much in Hawaii, just here and there at the dorm and sometimes at home. But the flavors are so different that I feel intimidated by my family's tastes. 

I sadly have not mastered any "Asian" recipes and therefore have a slight aversion to them. Either way, this was a good compromise. Fresh with kale from my parent's garden, fish they already had at home and some convenient canned beans. Tacos anyone?


Trout tacos with kale, avocado, Greek yogurt and corn, black bean salsa

Tryin' to tan those white legs


One of Boyfriend and my favorite spot on the island is Ala Moana beach park. It brings back lot of memories from college, after class sun bathing and some romantic after dark strolls on the beach.

Sitting at our bench



Ala Moana beach park





There's one thing that I cannot deny. My family can throw a party. It's not going to be wild or full of dancing or loud music, but there will be lots of good conversation and fantastic food. 

STEAK

Portuguese bean soup

Shoyu chicken

Grilled pineapple

Lau lau

Somen salad

Tofu salad

Edamame rice

Steak... sliced


Cream puffs

Butter mochi

Pies and cakes galore!


It was great seeing everyone at the party and I'm so happy my parents could pull it off so last minute. I have so many fond memories of family house parties like these that it truly makes me feel at home. But wait, there's more!... in Part 3.

-Akemi-chan

No comments: