Saturday, April 27, 2013

A Hawaiian Week in April Part 1

It feels like forever since I've posted anything and I suppose 2 weeks really is a long time. I took a week off in April for vacation to celebrate both my birthday and Boyfriend's. However, we did something for both of our birthdays closer to the actual days. We went to Chicago for a few days (Day 1 and Day 2) for my 26th and hosted a sangria party for Boyfriend's 27th. I am officially older than a quarter of a century. Ha!

So when it came down to planning a "birthday vacation" for the two of us, we were exhausted and unprepared. We were contemplating going to the Pacific Northwest to visit Portland, Seattle and Vancouver. Then we were thinking of taking a road trip in the Southwest through New Mexico, Arizona, Utah and Colorado. Of course, there was always the option of eating our fill in New Orleans or reliving childhood memories at Disney World. But like I said, we were unprepared and a week before vacation, I was almost immobile from party-planning and road trips.

A few days before my vacation time, we decided our best financial and social situation would be to head back to the islands. We were heading to Hawaii again. Boyfriend and I met at the University of Hawaii in my junior year and his senior year on student exchange. Plus, Boyfriend hadn't been back to the Aloha state since Fall of 2011. It seemed like a perfect combination of family time, hanging out with friends, good food and relaxation.

I know, it must seem incredibly ridiculous to think a week long vacation to Hawaii is more financially approachable than the Southwest or New Orleans, but when you have friends and family like ours, who needs to book hotels and cars? First world problems.

Here's some snapshots of where we went, what we saw and what we ate.

Impromptu birthday celebration at Farrell's

Tofu stew at my favorite Korean restaurant

The jet-lag is getting to him

Local style breakfast: Loco Moco, eggs, fried rice and Portuguese sausage

View from my towel at the beach



Trying to get our tan on, silly Midwest dwellers


Acai bowl and smoothie from Haleiwa Bowls. So refreshing.

Playing tourist at Dole Plantation

Gettin' my Dole Whip on!

Getting our caffeine fix at Green World Farms

College flashbacks. University of Hawaii at Manoa Japanese Gardens




Calamari, drinks and Ahi tacos from Mai Tai's 

Just some poke for lunch


Sandwiches, burgers, iced coffee and halo halo from Pineapple Room

How do you celebrate 4/20 when you're a foodie? You eat, duh! Okay, now that I've recovered from my 90's lingo flashback, let's continue. Though I've never partaken in the reefer (and no I'm not just saying that because my mother reads this), I am no stranger to pigging out when the mood strikes me. As far as I'm concerned I could've been a sub-par athlete, a clumsy doctor or a stuttering public speaker. Instead I focused on what made me happy and what I was good at, EATING!

I spend most of my time on vacation eating like I've been fasting for months and so what? That's what vacation is for! I just have to work out like a fiend once I get back home. Therefore my vacations are contributing to my fitness habits, or at least that's how I justify it. More Hawaii to come..

-Akemi-chan

No comments: