Monday, April 8, 2013

Boyfriend's Birthday/ Sangria Soiree

For Boyfriend's birthday, I'm threw a Sangria party at our house. I made three different types of sangria; a fruit-filled red, a light and refreshing white and a alcohol-free version for those who have to drive home.

I figured this was a great way to make a party drink without having to play bartender the whole time. Plus, it shows off Boyfriend's hobby of making wine. We've been enjoying the benefits of his new hobby, but now we should celebrate it!

Boyfriend's vines.... and some bubbly store bought stuff

Beautiful produce

Besides, it's Spring and the beautiful fruit is on sale at the grocery stores. I couldn't refuse. This is the first time in a long time that I've cut a pineapple. It's not as good as the ones from Hawaii, obviously, but the smell gave a instant flashbacks to driving to the North Shore through the Dole pineapple fields.

Taste the rainbow


Rainbow Red Sangria (This is the big one)
1 pineapple, cored and cut into chunks
1 apple, sliced
2 oranges, sliced
12-15 large strawberries, quartered
2- 6 oz containers of blackberries
1 cup sweet lime juice
1 1/2 cup orange juice
1 cup Chambord raspberry liqueur
1/4 cup triple sec
4 bottles of red wine, I used Boyfriend's Merlot, Cabernet blend
1 large ginger ale ice block- see below





Place all ingredients into container and mix with long spoon. I put the fruit in first to prevent any splashing. Since the beverage dispenser is too large to fit into the fridge, I'm not going to chill. I'm going to wait until 30 minutes before the party to add the ice block.




White Sangria
1 pear, sliced
1 apple, sliced
1 cup blackberries, muddled 
1/2 cup sweet lime juice
2 bottles white wine, I used Boyfriend's Savignon Blanc
1/2 cup Chambord (optional)
2 cups ginger ale
1 small ginger ale ice block- see below

Place all ingredients into container and place into fridge. I chose to put the sangria into a large plastic bowl with a cover. When it's time for the party, I'll put the  sangria into a punch bowl with the ice block.



For Alcohol-free Sangria substitute white wine for sparkling white grape juice and hold Chambord.



Ginger Ale Ice Block
1 part sweet lime juice
4 parts ginger ale
fruit (optional)
herbs (optional)




Pour all ingredients into a large container and place in freezer. I used a left over yogurt container. You can add fruits or herbs into ice for a nice look, but since I have other fruits in the sangria already, I decided not to add extras to the ice. This way the sangria will not be watered down as the ice melts. Instead it will slowly add a refreshing ginger ale taste to the mixture. Also, the large ice block will allow the ice to melt slower, as opposed to a large amount of smaller ice cubes.

To remove the ice from the container, just run the container under warm water. The ice should pop out after a few seconds.


I also made some chocolate chip cupcakes, since it is a birthday party. Just regular yellow cake mix with chocolate chips mixed in topped with chocolate frosting. Easy and simple and something to soak up the alcohol.

-Akemi-chan

No comments: