Sunday, December 2, 2012

Pampered Sunday: Penguin/ Beef Chili with Corn and Bell Peppers

Pampered Sunday is back on, Penguin style. A coworker and I stopped by a local gas station to get some refreshments and I spotted something in the window. I know it's very juvenile, but I got one of those hats that are scarves and mittens and animals. I know they make you look like an idiot and a child, but when I walked into this gas station and saw the penguin one, something came over me.

I've been slightly obsessed with completely random things, including lemons, the color yellow, lists and penguins. I will probably regret this purchase in the future, and it's a little humiliating to know that I'm an "adult" buying child's hat, but the cuteness overpowered me. Therefore, penguin hat is now in my possession and has inspired this week's Pampered Sunday.

Penguin nails

Penguin hat and nails


Even puppy has some penguin time


On today's menu, Beef Chili with Corn and Bell Peppers. When I came back to Illinois, it was cold, like 20 degrees cold. Oh, and don't forget the wind. I needed something warm and comforting. However, as so often happens when I go on vacation and return, there's nothing in the fridge. Frozen ground beef, a few refrigerated veggies and canned foods is the best I had. Time to make it work.

Beef Chili with Corn and Bell Peppers

1 lb of ground beef
1/2 onion, minced
4 cloves of garlic, minced
1/2 of green bell pepper, diced
1/2 of red bell pepper, diced
1 tbsp chili powder
1 tbsp cumin
1 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1 14.5 ox can of whole kernel sweet corn, drained
1 14.5 oz can of kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 14.5 oz can of diced tomatoes
1 cup beef broth
salt and pepper to taste

In a large pot over medium heat, brown ground beef with salt and pepper. When beef is starting to caramelize, stir in onions and garlic. After onions have become translucent, add bell peppers, chili powder, onion powder, garlic powder, cumin and cayenne pepper. Cook for 3-5 minutes.

Add corn, beans, tomatoes and beef broth. Bring pot of chili to boil and then reduce to a simmer. Simmer for 10 minutes to incorporate flavors.  Enjoy with sour cream or cheese. 



-Akemi-chan

No comments: