Saturday, December 15, 2012

Christmas Sugar Cookies

Ever since I can remember, my family has had one long lasting tradition. We don't get a tree every year, or make a roast, sometimes we stay in Hawaii, sometimes we flew to Las Vegas. But there's always one constant: Sugar cookies.

My mom's family has been using the same recipe for many years, originally from The Kitchen of May Oka. I'm not sure if that used to be an old local TV program, or newspaper column, but the cookies are delish!

I remember dusting the cookies with red and green sprinkles, when I was barely tall enough to reach the kitchen counter. Now, I get to make these cookies every year, even if I can't be with my family during the holidays.

When I first introduced this recipe to my friends, including Boyfriend, they were obsessed. Thanks to their love of coffee, two batches of cookies were gone in the matter of a week. They are crisp, buttery and they crumble and melt in your mouth.





May Oka's Sugar Cookies

1 cup butter
1 cup vegetable oil
2 eggs, beaten
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup powdered sugar
1 cup granulated sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cream of tartar
4 1/2 cups all purpose flour

Combine butter and oil. Then cream sugars into butter/oil mixture until well blended. Add beaten eggs and vanilla. Then mix all dry ingredients together and add to wet ingredients.

Chill batter in refrigerator until firm. Roll into 1" balls and roll in granulated sugar. Place balls on ungreased cookie sheet and press flat with bottom of glass cup dipped in sugar.

How to press cookie dough

Top with colored sprinkles. Bake at 350 degrees for 10-15 minutes or until the edges of the cookies start to turn golden brown. 1 batch makes around 8 dozen cookies.

Er mer gerd! It's almost Chirstmas!

Boyfriend and I turn into the Cookie Monster when these things are made and normally I make several batches and send them out as gifts. This year, I won't be here for Christmas, so if you want cookies, you'll have to stop by our house and take the gamble that there will be any left.

I was lucky enough to get enough time off work to go home for Thanksgiving. Well, that luck seems to continue. I got time off and am so excited to meet up with my parents and brother for another family tradition: Christmas in Las Vegas. Super jazzed! Maybe I should take it easy on the sugar.

-Akemi-chan


No comments: