Thursday, December 20, 2012

Date Night Part 3: Bananas Foster

To finish off the impromptu date night with Boyfriend, I decided to take inspiration from our last date night.

A few days ago, Boyfriend and I went car shopping at the local dealerships. I never knew how exhausting and frustrating car shopping could be. Anyway, after a long day of talking to salesmen, test drives and crunching numbers, we went to a local bar/ restaurant. After our meal, we had just enough room to have some dessert and decided on the Bananas Foster.

It immediately brought my back to the first time I had this dish, flame and all. It was dazzling, and not just because it was at Disneyland. Boyfriend was equally impressed with his first exposure to the dessert. So much so, that I decided to recreate it for date night.



Bananas Foster

2 tbsp butter
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp cinnamon
2 bananas, cute lengthwise
1/4 cup dark rum, I used Captian Morgan
1 scoop ice cream

In a medium saute pan oven low heat, melt the butter. When butter is fully melted, add brown sugar, nutmeg and cinnamon and stir to dissolve. When fully incorporated, add the bananas face-down and cook for 1 minute on each side.


When cooked, add rum to pan. Be careful, if heat is too high or alcohol comes in contact with an open flame, it will ignite. Cook for approximately 1-2 minutes so alcohol will cook out. Serve with ice cream.

I used Moose Tracks ice cream from Schnucks grocery store. It's a combination of vanilla ice cream, chocolate swirls and chocolate covered peanut butter candies.



This ice cream went perfectly with the bananas foster, kind of like a play on a banana split sundae with peanuts and chocolate sauce.


PS: I got my new car today! Yay! Car posts to come.

-Akemi-chan

No comments: