Monday, March 4, 2013

Caramelized Onion, Bacon, Cheeseburger

Earlier in the week, I was watching The Chew's burger episode. Needless to say, I ended the episode salivating. One of the best tips I picked up was to treat the burger like it was a top dollar steak. I used to make my burgers like meatloaf, but according to Michael Symon, I've been missing out on the burger's true potential. 

Later that day I watched a youtube video of  Top Chef Richard Blais making a Korean BBQ inspired burger. Again, drool. To my amazement, Chef Blais said the same thing about a loosely packed patty. 




Now, it's my turn to try out this new technique. 


Caramelized Onion, Bacon Cheeseburger

1/2 lb ground beef, 20% fat
Half a large onion, thinly sliced
1 tbsp butter
2-4 strips of bacon 
2 sesame seed burgers
2 slices of cheese, I used pepperjack
Salt and pepper to taste


Form two loosely packed patties of beef and season with salt and pepper on each side. Heat up a flat top skillet to medium heat. Place burger patties and bacon on the skillet. Cook the patties for about 3-4 minutes on each side, add cheese on burger after you flip. Cook bacon for 1-2 minutes each side. When bacon is done cooking, keep fat in skillet and toast the inside of the hamburger buns on the bacon fat.

In a separate pan, or on skillet, add butter, onions, salt and pepper and slowly cook until onions become soft and caramelized, about 5-6 minutes. Assemble burger as desired.


This may have been the best burger I have ever made. Boyfriend usually is in charge of burger assembly, so I am proud that I could pull this off. I think my success has a lot to do with the Blais/ Symon tip on the loosley packed burger patty. It was juicy and sooo yummy. Enjoy!

-Akemi-chan

No comments: