Saturday, March 9, 2013

Green Smoothie: Kale, Apple, Peanut Butter, Yogurt & Banana

There's been a massive trend in health magazines, blogs and pinterest involving green smoothies. The concept intrigues me. Add the sweetness of fruit with the heath benefits of raw leafy greens, yogurt and supplements. The meal on the go has gone green.

As my introductory green smoothie, I decided to use my new favorite vegetable: kale. I really wish I had some flaxseed or chia seed or vanilla protein powder to add, but there will be more green smoothie opportunities in the near future.


Green Smoothie

1 cup Kale, torn into little pieces
1 medium granny smith apple, cut into 1/4' pieces
1 medium banana, sliced
1 cup Greek yogurt, plain flavor
1/2 tbsp honey
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tbsp peanut butter, smooth
1/2 cup soy milk, I used original flavor
1/4 cup water

Place all ingredients in blender and blend until smooth. You may need to push the ingredients down into the blade depending on your blender and in what order you dumped the ingredients.

Easy peasy

The smoothie turned out mild in flavor and beautiful in color. It had a few hints of sweetness from the banana and honey, some tart from the apple and very filling from the peanut butter, yogurt and milk. Since raw kale has very little flavor it, I didn't notice it except for the green color. 

I can't wait to try out more green smoothies. Pineapple, spinach, peaches, blueberries... the possibilities are endless.

-Akemi-chan

No comments: