Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Dinner and a Movie: Silver Linings Playbook

One of my favorite shows, The Chew, was doing an Oscar inspired week of shows in preparation for the silver screen's biggest night. I have such fond memories of the Oscars. Obviously I had never been to the big show itself, but I remember sitting in the living room with my Mom watching the red carpet coverage and the award ceremony.

Watching all the beautiful people in their gorgeous gowns and tuxes, listening to the award-winning scores and making personal bets on who was going to win the little gold men. Does it get any better? It gave me the kind of thrill that I assume most other people get from gambling. It could be because of my generation, but the movies always fascinated me more than books and music.

Anyway, on The Chew's February 20th show, Carla Hall went to Nitehawk Cinema in Brooklyn. This small theater screens movies and sells meals that are inspired by the movies. Genius! I thought to myself, "I have to do this!"

I love movies, I love food and I love themed parties. Time to take action. Boyfriend and I decided to take inspiration from this dinner and a movie theme night with Oscar nominated Silver Linings Playbook.


In an effort to read more, Boyfriend and I have joined together in a sort of book-to-movie club, just  between ourselves. After we read the book we got the movie and went to the grocery store in preparation for a cute little dinner and a movie night.

Since the plot contains many references to Philadelphia, we immediately thought Philly Cheesesteak. Here's what we did.




Silver Linings Philly Cheesesteak Sandwich

1 tbsp olive oil
1 small onion, sliced
1 bell pepper, sliced (we used 1/2 of a red and 1/2 of a green)
1/2 lb shaved roast beef
4-6 provolone slices
1 french bread loaf
salt and pepper to taste


Market fresh ingredients

In a large saute pan or skillet, heat oil over medium high heat. Saute onions and peppers for 2-3 minutes, or until they start to become soft. Slice roast beef into bite size pieces and add to peppers and onions, along with salt and pepper. Saute for 4-5 minutes until everything becomes tender. When meat mixture is warm and tender, place provolone over mixture and cover skillet/pan to melt cheese.

Melt cheese, melt! Muahahahaha!

Meanwhile, slice sandwich sized loaves out of french bread and slice in half to make sandwich loaves. Toast bread in toaster oven. Scoop the cheesey mixture onto the bread and enjoy.



The movie was great, and the cheesesteaks didn't hurt either. I was surprised see how different the movie was from the book. But it was just as charming. The cheesesteaks were fantastic. Boyfriend and I devoured them. First successful dinner and a movie date of the book-to-movie club.

-Akemi-chan

No comments: