Friday, June 20, 2014

Wedding Planning: Saying Yes to the Dress

I was extremely nervous about finding a dress. Just like most other girls, I have a complex about my body. But instead of my thighs and my butt, it's my height. So my number one desire when it came to finding the dress was it had to make me look tall, or at least normal height. Heels can only do so much. 

I looked over thousands of online pictures of bridal gowns that mostly resembled cupcakes and comforters, and they all left me feeling hopeless. In addition to feeling like I wouldn't find the dress, I felt a little alone.

I had this picture in my head of those TV shows and movies where the young woman goes to the bridal shop with her best friend and her mom. They try on dresses, give their opinions and sometimes someone has to get put in their place. But in the end the young woman walks out in address that suits her perfectly. The sales person, put on a veil, the mom and best friend cry and they all leave with smiles on their faces. 

My mother obviously lives in Hawaii and my best friend lives in San Francisco. There would be no such tears at my dress shopping. I was honestly worried that I would be in David's Bridal by myself trying on affordable  yet unspectacular dresses. 

Then in December 2013, Bryan surprised me with an appointment at the local bridal salon, Michelle's Bridal. In addition to making a champagne appointment with bubbly and appetizers, he invited some of my friends that live in town and our friend from St Louis. I'm a lucky girl... and spoiled.

Here's a few pictures from our appointment. Don't worry, there are no spoilers.

"Welcome Carly <3"


Our noms

The judging panel

Bubbles and chocolate



Don't worry, not my dress

Me and my girls. Even in heels I'm shorter than everyone

I had a fun time playing dress up and having some bubbly with the girls. Plus, I was lucky enough to find a dress that suited me. I couldn't have asked for more.

Then Bryan surprised me with a little party back at the house. Many of our friends were there with us to sip bubbly cocktails and eat pizza while we laugh and have a good time. Thank you so much to Bryan for surprising me and setting everything up so I could have a wonderful dress shopping experience. He really went all out.

Grapefruit mimosa

Bubbles

Now it's Summer and I have to get my dress altered for my short legs. But I'm so happy I found the dress and my girls made it that much more special.


-Akemi-chan

No comments: