Monday, June 23, 2014

Wedding Planning: Prioritizing and Budgeting

If there's one thing that I learned from Bryan, it's that life is short, indulge a little. I used to be pretty tight-fisted when it came to money. When my friends wanted to go out to dinner, I used to make a salad at home, so I wouldn't pay for a side salad with my entree. I used to refuse invitations to concerts and parties because I didn't want to spend money on a ticket. I used to go "shopping" for hours and talk myself out of buying anything.

Now, I'm more willing to spend money for the sake of the moment. A few years ago I would never buy a bottle of wine to eat with a homemade meal, or go out for coffee or lunch. Oh how things have changed. This "live in the moment" mentality is scarily being embraced in wedding planning.

I'm not gonna lie, I initially didn't want a wedding. I thought it would be less stress and less money to elope or go to the courthouse. After some convincing, Bryan and I agreed to have a more traditional wedding celebration. So now that we're already going to be spending money on the wedding, I decided to sit down and really think about what I want and budget accordingly.

To me, the most important parts of the wedding were the food and the photos. Secondly, the attire and venue. Bryan's priorities were the venue and the music. Once you figure out what you want, everything else kinda falls into place.

Now just a couple months til the wedding, we have almost everything of importance. Oh and did I mention I haven't had a heartattack yet? A few meltdowns due to budgeting. Planning a wedding near a major city is ridiculously expensive. But it will all be worth it to marry my best friend. At least that's what I keep telling my credit card.


-Akemi-chan

No comments: