Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Quick Chicken Salad

It's Summer, which means sunshine, picnics, grilling and light and refreshing foods. I've been soaking up every ounce of sunlight that I can muster. Shorts, tanks, sunglasses and sandals have been my off-duty uniform and I wouldn't have it any other way. These days I take any excuse to go for an afternoon walk and an ice-cold drink on the porch. It's Summer and I'm loving it.

I've been trying to eat lighter. It's not just a wedding diet, but a seasonal thing as well. I don't want to eat heavy filling foods that prevent me from taking my afternoon stroll. I want something that is crisp and refreshing and leaving me feel energized and ready for the rest of the day. Tea helps too, ice of course.

One afternoon, Bryan and I decided to have lunch in the backyard with the puppydog. Although I consider this to be a hodgepodge of ingredients I happen to have in the fridge, it still did the job.



Quick Chicken Salad



1 large chicken breast, grilled and cubed
3 cups of fresh spinach, washed
1 carrot, sliced diagonally
2 strips of bacon, chopped
1 Fuji Apple, cubed
1 single serving sized plain Greek yogurt 
1 lemon
2 tsp chives
1 tsp chopped garlic
Salt and pepper



In a small bowl, combine yogurt, lemon juice, chives and garlic. If the dressing is too thick, add more lemon juice. In a large bowl, combine all remaining ingredients and toss in yogurt dressing. Simple and easy, just like Summer.

Perfect with a glass of lemonade or iced tea, this salad was the perfect way to stay cool inside and outside. Enjoy!

-Akemi-chan


No comments: