Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Tokyo or Bust

We're leaving to go to Tokyo in a few hours and I have insomnia. It probably doesn't help that I work the night shift, not to mention my already anxious personality, but I always have a hard time sleeping before a trip.

Maybe it's because of the fear of sleeping in, the worry of not getting on the flight because I'm too low on the stand by list, or maybe I just like having butterflies in my stomach. Every time I have to work the night before only to leave for the airport in a few hours, I get late night anxiety.

I'm especially nervous about this trip, it being international and myself being far from fluent in my own ethnicity's tongue.

A few hours ago, Boyfriend's sister mentioned Ancestry.com, and how we should have researched me heritage before visiting Tokyo. Try as I might, my search only turned up documentation from within Hawaii/ the US. I was hoping to find some specific connections to my past in Japan, but alas, my search turned up empty.

I've never really identified with my Japanese heritage. With so many influences from different backgrounds in Hawaii, I grew up to become an American first, a Hawaiian resident second and a Japanese girl last. My basic knowledge of Japanese culture is limited to a few years of studying the language, only to lose it after studying Spanish and, of course, the food.

Hopefully I don't end up like Scarlet Johansen in Lost in Translation and spend the whole time wandering around alone or sitting in my hotel room. Either way, I hope to connect with Japan and create new memories.

Well, so much for my rambling. I need to arise in an hour and a half to do some last minute packing. Then, we're off to the races. Wish us luck, we'll need it!

-Akemi-chan

No comments: