Thursday, January 24, 2013

Tokyo Day 5: Imperial Palace, Ginza & Flying back to Illinois

Boyfriend and I had no plans for our last day in Tokyo. We could have played some pachinko, or woke up early to visit Tsukiji fish market, or check out the new Tokyo Sky Tree, but we decided to keep it simple and visit the Imperial Palace

We checked out of our hotel and dropped our luggage at the front desk and took the train to the business district. Once we stepped off the train, I knew I was in trouble. I wore my suede, heeled, pointy boots and they were just starting to shovel the roads. The vast area we were walking through was covered in frozen snow. Eek! Squishy socks were inevitable. Though my feet were both soaking and hurting, it was a beautiful sunny day in snow-covered Tokyo. 


Swan lake... and little babies












After about 20 minutes of walking through snow, we made it to the Nijubashi bridges and discovered that tours of the palace were closed due to the weather. It was a little disappointing, but I was so tired from walking in the snow, I was a little relieved. 






Little snowman







Near the edge of the park we found a beautiful statue of Kusunoki Masashige. Meant to symbolize the ideal of samurai loyalty to the Emperor. The statue seems like it's alive thanks the the movement and grace of the horse and the detail in the armor.





While walking through the district we found La Boutique by Joel Robuchon. I have had some experience with critically acclaimed chefs. Been to Wolfgang Puck's Spago and Bobby Flay's Mesa in Las Vegas and I've been to Alan Wong's in Honolulu. I've had even less experience with French food. So if Boyfriend wants a little mid-morning snack at the "chef of the century's" patisserie, I'm all for it. Even if he just slapped his name on the crepe and bakery chain, it was still worth a try.

The garden outside the restaurant


Our coffees, apple pastry and berry pastry

The little pastries were the perfect pick me up after trekking through the snow in heels. After our treats we walked a few blocks to Ginza to do a little last minute shopping. One of my favorite parts of shopping in Japan is the sock stores. I know it sounds silly, but since you take off your shoes inside, so you want your feet to look nice outside of your shoes. Not to mention Japanese girls wear a lot of skirts, so it's only natural to have a store stocked with tights and socks. I probably spent around 40 bucks in that store, so cute.

After we went through a few department stores and shops, we headed back to the train station and found people making a sculpture out of snow. It was amazing.



While waiting at the airport we had our last meal in Japan. We shared a mixed Katsu plate for two. It included shrimp, potato, pork and cheese. 


Miso soup with little clams

Ikebana at airport

Ikebana close up

We were lucky enough to get First class going back as well.I was surprised to find out that the flight back to Chicago was a lot shorter than the flight there, like 2.5 hours shorter. Either way, here's what we ate.

Beef with mustard sauce amuse bouche

Shrimp and scallops on avocado mouse and salsa

Creamy mushroom soup

Boyfriend's beef with red wine sauce and potatoes

My chicken with mushroom risotto 

Fruit salad with mango sorbet

After our meal, we decided to get some shut eye. Since the flight was shorter we wanted to take advantage of the sleeping arrangements.

The sleep kit with Mickey and Minnie

My new Hello Kitty eye mask. Thanks Boyfriend!

We woke up about an hour before landing, just enough time to reorganize and slip back into regular clothes. Since we were in O'Hare, I had to pay a visit to my favorite Argo Tea.

Fruit and yogurt parfait, my Valentea Passion and Boyfriend's Iced Chai

We got back to Champaign around 7:30 at night and we were so happy to sleep in our own bed again. It was a fantastic trip and I'm so grateful and happy we go to do it. Thank you to Boyfriend and his work to give us this amazing opportunity. I can't wait to go back someday.

-Akemi-chan

No comments: