Saturday, January 26, 2013

Strawberries with Goat cheese and Balsamic Caramel

When Boyfriend  and I returned from Japan, the fridge was like a ghost town. He was nice enough to pick up some groceries from the store, without my supervision.

Usually I'm too much of a control freak to let Boyfriend go crazy at the store without a list or any kind of direction. He brought back a variety of meats, veggies, fruits, dairy and pantry items. But what to do?

I was blankly staring at the receipt of items when I was inspired by a spinach salad with goat cheese, strawberries, walnuts and a balsamic vinaigrette. It seemed like a great idea for a dessert, except for the spinach part.


Strawberries with Goat cheese and Balsamic Caramel

3-4 large strawberries, stemmed and sliced
2 oz goat cheese, crumbled
1 tbsp unsalted butter
1/8 cup brown sugar
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 tbsp slivered almonds (optional)
1 tbsp shredded coconut (optional)

In a small saute pan over medium low heat melt butter and add brown sugar. Whisk until smooth. Add balsamic vinegar and whisk until evenly incorporated. On a plate (or two individual plates) place starwberries and crumble goat cheese. After the caramel sauce has cooked for a minute or two (to desired consistency) drizzle with whisk over the strawberries and goat cheese. Add slivered almonds and shredded coconut if desired.


Initially, wanted to try something like bananas foster. I intended the strawberries to be dressed with a sauce, not a caramel. Instead serendipity graced my kitchen and I added too much sugar and the sauce turned into a caramel. It turned out chewy, sticky, just a little sweet and a little tang. How fortuitous!

Boyfriend even said I should make this into some kind of caramel chew and it would be a great snack. Sounds delicious but I won't go that far, can you imagine the mess?!

This would also be fantastic over ice cream instead of cheese. Or even with yogurt and granola. Enjoy!

-Akemi-chan

No comments: