Saturday, January 19, 2013

Tokyo Day 2: Roppongi Hills

Day two in Tokyo, we slept in thanks to the beers from the night before. Boyfriend and I went to the in hotel restaurant, but for got to bring the camera! D'oh! Anyway, we shared a tuna sashimi and avocado salad, gyoza (pot stickers) and shrimp tempura. After we digested our light lunch, we grabbed a quick snack of salmon and salmon roe over rice and took the train into the city. 

Snack time

Hello Kitty time

More vending machines! Sugoi!


We took the train to Roppongi Hills, a shopping area that features a view of the city and a modern art museum.

Huge Big Mac

Roppongi Hills

Gigantic spider sculpture

Maman the Spider

Soon we'll be on the top of that building

Tokyo Tower


Entrance to Mori Art Museum


When your purchase a ticket to the Tokyo City View, your ticket also covers your admission into the Mori Art Museum. To be fair, I'm not the greatest fan of modern art. It's a little too dark, severe and shocking for me. I honestly felt a little queasy after leaving the featured exhibit, but there were some very interesting pieces of work that I could appreciate. There were no pictures allowed from the exhibit, which is understandable due to the previously mentioned queasiness and Aida Makoto's (the artist) rights. They did allow pictures of one sculpture...

Some sort of pondering Musubi man

On the other side of our purchased fare, the panoramic view of the city at night was breathtaking. It's crazy how beautiful the city is when it's lit up. Very romantic.

Tokyo from City View



Us <3



Don't look down

Well, hello Evan



I guess I'll have to practice steadying my hands for some of the pictures. I'll work on it. Of course, since we're in Japan, there were the cutest souvenirs, including a stuffed animal referred to as a "Labbit."

"Labbits" with mustaches

For dinner we ate at an Italian restaurant in one of the many buildings in Roppongi Hills. Yes, we're eating Italian food in Japan. As much as I love Japanese food and enjoy how much better it is here compared o the states, there's only so much fish and rice we can eat. The Italian place was so cute. The low-lit light bulbs were surrounded by stemless wine glasses. It had a wood-burning oven and a beautiful bar with gorgeous stemware. It was very cute.


Evan and his margherita pizza

Boyfriend's tagliattelle with beef cheek ragout 

My tomato, garlic, basil and anchovy pizza

While walking around Tokyo, I noticed how beautiful everyone's wool coats were. I was becoming incredibly jealous. Luckily, at Roppongi Hills, we stumbled upon a store that had a blowout sale. After a few minutes I found a cute camel coat with a fur trim at the hood. It was a steal for 3,500 yen, which comes out to approximately $38 USD. I felt so cute and felt like I fit in. Except for my jeans, considering that most of the women wear skirts. 



After shopping we went back to the hotel to rest up for an early start the next day. 


The next day will be the beginning of Boyfriend's collaboration meetings and my first day wandering around Tokyo alone. Thankfully, the city is very safe and I got used to navigating around. Let the shopping begin!

-Akemi-chan

No comments: