Friday, August 2, 2013

Watermelon, Arugula and Feta Salad

When boyfriend informed me that we were invited to another wine club meeting, I was a little worried about what to bring. Our hosts were nice enough to provide an array of sausages, but besides a bun and mustard, I had no idea what would pair well with sausage. Eventually I came to the conclusion that I should make something light and refreshing. As much as I love sausage, I need some fruits and veggies to make me feel less guilty.

In Summer, it's really hard to put down the hamburgers and hot dogs and pick up a salad. But when the salad is juicy and filling and full of flavor, it's not hard to overlook them. Since watermelons are on sale at the store, I felt this was a perfect side dish opportunity. 


Watermelon, Arugula and Feta Salad


8 cups of  seedless watermelon, cubed
4 oz feta cheese, crumbled
1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
4 ounces of baby arugula
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
2 tbsp olive oil
1/2 tsp mustard
salt and pepper to taste

Add watermelon, cheese, red onion and arugula to a large bowl. In a small container with a lid, add the balsamic vinegar, olive oil, mustard and salt and pepper. Close container and shake until combined. Mix salad together at the last minute with the dressing. You can also add basil or mint to add more flavor. Serve cold and enjoy. 

-Akemi-chan

No comments: