Friday, February 15, 2013

Valentine's Day... On a Stick

Valentine's day involves a lot of stereotypes: the conversation hearts, drug store chocolates, red roses. I don't buy into those things. Yes, we've all had those moments in middle school when it meant so much to get a Hershey's kiss from a crush, but as an adult, I like to take it to the next level. 

This will be the third Valentine's day dinner I've prepared for Boyfriend. I usually make some kind of seafood dish to make it a special occasion, instead of making chicken. This time I wanted something a little more whimsical.


I took inspiration from a cocktail party, with easy to eat appetizers with lots of flavor and a fun theme. Every course of the meal will be on a stick. It's kind of silly, but it reminded me of that jalapeno skit from Jeff Dunham.


The menu consisted of cocktail, salad, pasta, shrimp, meatballs and dessert. Yummy on a stick.

Frozen blueberries on a stick with sparkling wine

Clockwise from top left
Pesto marinated grilled shrimp
Mozzarella, olive, grape tomato, cheese tortellini
Salami, roasted red pepper, sun-dried tomato, basil and mozzarella
Lamb meatball

French bread, nutella, banana, bacon paninis from The Chew Book

Cheers!

Poppin' bottles

Nutella, banana, bacon nomz


Even puppydog got in on the V-day action. We're like many other pet-parents that love showering our animals with little gifts. Boyfriend was nice enough to carve a little heart out of dog treats for our large ball of fluff.



Boyfriend'd gift to me was very cute. He got me some artisan cheeses and meats to go with my new bathtub shelf. It even comes with a place to slide your wine glass and a stand to lean a book on. AMAZING! Now I get to eat my fancy snacks while taking a bubble bath. Does life get any better?

Prosciutto, cheeses, pepper sausage and wine

Black truffle mousse 


A great Valentine's day is not complete without watching some Comedy Central, listening to Macklemore's Thrift Shop and reminiscing of the past.

Tomorrow, I'll be on a flight to San Francisco to meet old friends for a weekend in the Bay Area. I haven't seen some of them in years, and a fun weekend of food, cocktails and dancing would be much appreciated. Hopefully we can all meet up for a fantastic weekend.

-Akemi-chan

No comments: