Tuesday, February 12, 2013

PINspiration: Booze Bouquet/ St Louis Mardi Gras

St Louis and I have a love/ hate relationship. I've had many an amazing time in this city, like my 25th birthday or the many house parties hosted by our friends the Schlosbergs. Then again, there were some other times when the city is a little too... um... rough for a girl like me, like the times we went to East St Louis. More or less, St Louis is a town that knows how to party and eat, except for that Imo's pizza, ew.

Last weekend, Boyfriend and I were attending a birthday party for our friend Adriana, also the weekend of Mardi Gras in St Louis. Apparently this unlikely city is the host of the 2nd largest Mardi Gras block party in the county, second only to New Orleans. I had never been to Mardi Gras and hadn't been to St Louis in a long time, so we had to make this party a good one. 

Step one: give a great gift to the birthday girl. I found an idea on Pinterest  for a 21st birthday/ bachelorette gift involving mini bottles of liquor combined into a bouquet. She's only 22, so why not, right? Take a hot glue gun, wooden dowls, foam for flower arranging, a vessel (like a large cognac glass), mini bottles of liquor and fillers (like candy). Ta-dah, you have a booze bouquet.

The birthday girl and her gift

Step 2: give the gift a purpose. In order to sweeten the deal, we incorporated a little game for the gift. The birthday girl had to look at all the bottles of liquor and then close her eyes or be blindfolded. Another party-goer selected a bottle from the bouquet and poured the liquor into 2 shot glasses. The birthday girl and selector will take the shots and the blindfolded person must guess which liquor they drank. Not sure what to name the game, but it was a good way to start the party. Inspired by a game we saw on Andy Cohen's Watch What Happens Live.


Moose girls

Moose boys

Boys and their duckfaces


After some drinks, we took a cab to the block party. For the lack of a better word, it was interesting; crowded streets flooded with beads, bottles, cans, masks and parties. There was a lot going on, but at least we made it out alive, sort of.













I don't know if I could handle another Mardi Gras in St Louis, but I'm glad I went. It was definitely an experience I will remember for a long time. Happy birthday Adriana!

-Akemi-chan

No comments: