Sunday, March 23, 2014

Eating Our way through New Orleans Part 1

Please forgive my Yankee dialect and my lack of drawl when I say New Orleans instead of Nawlins, but I'm going to stick to my guns and hopefully I won't offend anyone with a terrible impersonation of a Southern accent. That being said, let the story begin.

I have never been to the South before. Well, I guess that's not true. I've been to Florida before, but I was about 5 years-old when I went to Orlando and I consider Miami culturally closer to the Caribbean than the South. That opinion may be incorrect, but it's just my personal experience.

I've always wanted to go to New Orleans. Maybe it comes with my fascination with food. It's possible it stems from my consistent exposure to Disneyland and it's "New Orleans Square." Or it could be because it's a cultural melting pot like Hawaii. Who knows? All I know is that New Orleans was a destination I had to cross off of my travel bucket list. So for my 27th birthday, Bryan and I packed our bags to head over to The Big Easy.

Flying over the swamp

First stop: The French Market

Gator sausage and beer

Lots of street artists


Chartres street

Love the buildings here

Jackson Square

Happy to wear sandals, in March


St Louis Cathedral

Famous beignets and coffee from Cafe du Monde


Crowded, but worth it. Plus they have FROZEN cafe au lait, YUM!

Sax it up


RIP Galen

This guy!

Bourbon street AKA trouble

Hurricane and Pimm's cup, at a price, from Maison Bourbon Jazz club


I love how this could be a selling point in this town

Fat oysters at Crescent City Brewhouse

Blackened Redfish with fried soft shell crab

Purple, green and gold

Stumbled onto a set of a commercial

Mardi Gras, for the commercial

St Louis Cathedral, at night, from behind

Late night jambalaya from Flanagan's pub

You think we were there the whole day, dontcha? Nope! We landed at one in the afternoon and didn't get to exploring until about 2 pm. That's four meals or snacks in about half a day. Diets don't exist of vacation right? Let's see if we can break that record on the next day.

-Akemi-chan

PS: Of course we do.

No comments: