Monday, December 9, 2013

Wedding Planning Kick Off: Venue

I want to preface this post with an apology. I'm trying not to be a bridezilla, but it's proving harder than I thought. I'm particular, I have high standards and I get easily frustrated. It's best to just stay out of my way.

Bryan and I have been going through all the wedding details and it's quite overwhelming. I find myself caring about things that I would normally think are silly. Who cares what color the napkins are and what flowers are in season? I sure don't. But when it's 10 million details all in one, it becomes something so much bigger. It can be your best friend or your worst enemy. Luckily, I have Bryan and he has been a big help in being my wedding planner/ liaison.

It's been difficult with my work schedule to plan a wedding less than a year away. We decided to have the wedding on a specific week in September 2014, mainly because it's my week of vacation and I wouldn't have to scramble to find someone to cover me on my wedding day. It's also been difficult because I have unusual work hours, so planning a wedding from afar when I work at night and on weekends has been rough.

In spite of the limitless location options, we decided to get married in Chicago. We could've gone with Honolulu, St. Louis, Napa or even something random like the Caribbean. But Illinois is home, for now, and Chicago is a great city. Besides, Chicago in September is usually quite nice.

So far we've gotten a few things checked off of our list. The venue, the date and time, which seem to be the biggest hurdle.

We were lucky enough to get my number one choice of venue: the Morton Arboretum in the western suburbs of Chicago. It's going to be beautiful. With all of the trees and plants, it will make a beautiful backdrop for our special day. Hopefully in late September, the leaves will begin to turn into an Autumnal hue. We visited the grounds in Winter and it was still breathtaking, so even if the leaves are still green, it will still be amazing.

Pretty bride at the Morton Arboretum via Pinterest

At first, I was disappointed that the arboretum was unavailable for the Saturday evening. Eventually I've come to find it's been a blessing in disguise.

This is the room we'll be married in. Gorgeous. Via Pinterest

I love brunch. I mean, who doesn't? The brunch option gives our guests the beautiful sunlight during the day to explore the arboretum and gives us the opportunity to indulge in french toast and mimosas. So, brunch it is!

We have so many more details to go through and hopefully we'll get out of this thing alive. But until then, it's wedding crunch time and all of my attention is going into planning. I'm sure my kitchen is growing lonely.

-Akemi-chan

No comments: