Saturday, October 19, 2013

College Throwback: Hawaiian French Toast

I've been having some writers block. I've been cooking simple meals every day, but nothing of significant effort, or accurate measuring. So I'm referring to some posts that I wrote last year... yes last year around this time. I saved them up in hopes of having a "college throwback" week, but my writers block is just as good of an excuse. So here we go.

I didn't start cooking until the end of high school. By that time I got over my fear of burning down the house thanks to years of Food Network exposure, courtesy of my mother. Even still, cooking was still incredibly foreign to me. Since I was stuck eating cafeteria food and missed all the home cooked meals, College was when I started to get interested and passionate about food and cooking.

So in order to start some kind of week-long theme, we're going with College Throwback. This week I'll be making all the foods that I made in my dorm and the foods that kicked off my love for cooking.


When I first met Boyfriend, my food preparation experience was limited to rice in a rice cooker, cookies and omelettes. But I did manage to pull off impressing him with my mad breakfast skills. The first thing I ever cooked for Boyfriend was Hawaiian French toast.

I love breakfast and I love French toast, so to step it up a notch I used Hawaiian sweet bread. I originally used a loaf of Hawaiian sweet bread, but we're trying to watch portions lately, so I'm going to use the individual mini loaves. 

Hawaiian French Toast

4 rolls of Hawaiian sweet bread
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup milk
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp butter

Cut rolls in half horizontally, so it looks like two slices of sandwich bread.


Mix eggs, cinnamon, and salt. Dip both sides of the bread in the egg mixture to absorb the egg.


On a griddle or nonstick pan, melt butter and brown the sweet bread rolls on both sides until cooked through.


Enjoy on it's own, or with butter and syrup. I chose to go without either. Since the bread is already sweet, I didn't want to overload on sugar with the syrup.


You could also make a breakfast sandwich by layering ham, bacon, cheese, a fried egg or whatever in between the toast. Delicious! Enjoy.

-Akemi-chan

No comments: