Saturday, September 7, 2013

Quick Trip to Sin City/ Parent's 29th Anniversary

My parents flew to Vegas to celebrate their 29th wedding anniversary and my Dad's birthday. Las Vegas is a huge destination city for people from Hawaii and my parents are no exception. Everyone needs a little getaway and when you live in paradise, you go to America's playground to shop, eat, drink and gamble. Again, my parents are no exception. I was fortunate enough to have the time to make a quick trip to Sin City to spend some time with them on their trip.

We (as a family) have been to Vegas many times. We spent a couple Christmases, birthdays and anniversaries there and who knows how many more times just because. So since I was there for only 24 hours, I decided to shake things up and do something different. So besides the usual shop-eat-drink-gamble-repeat, we stopped by the Neon Museum for a little history lessons. Here's the picture diary.

Got the last seat in first class

Stephen King and warm nuts

Salmon salad

Why thank you!

Table 10 in the Palazzo for lunch


Braised beef cheeks

BBQ shrimp

Candied bacon

Lemon bar with blueberry compote

Whaddup Emeril!

Shopping at H&M in Caesar's

Little bows with Mickey glasses and sneakers at DSW

After some light shopping we spent some time watching the Red Sox game before heading out to the Neon Museum. I didn't realize how much Vegas history was tucked away, just a couple blocks away from Downtown. With the refurbished signs alongside the more worn down ones, the colored lights made the museum seem like one part fun house, one part graveyard and a little dash of haunted house. Along with the context from the tour guide's stories it was a great experience.


Reclaim, restore, remember

Entrance


Silver Slipper at sunset

Our tour guide




Love








Neon yucca

















Aladdin's lamp




A fuzzy Dad and I and horseshoe

Mom with the big B

After the tour I was starving, so for dinner and dessert we had some of our favorites from Caesar's. Wolfgang Puck's Spago for dinner and Serendipity 3 for dessert.



Arugula salad with cantaloupe, figs, prosciutto and cheese

ooooOOOOooo

Seared halibut with Summer vegetables

Smoked salmon pizza with cream cheese, chives and salmon roe

Mom sharing her pictures on Facebook in the middle of the mall

Double frozen hot chocolate from Serendipity 3

Butts

Haha

We spent the rest of the night gambling Downtown. I didn't win any money, but I was sitting pretty drinking my margarita.

The next morning we ate at the Main Street Station buffet. The thing I love about Downtown Vegas is that it's like a little slice of home. So many Hawaii people stay Downtown that the machines are Hawaiian themed, the dealers wear Aloha shirts and the food is a mix of continental and local Hawaii food. How sweet it is.

Aloha brand shoyu at the buffet

What a culturally diverse breakfast

My newest acquisition

The last seat in first class... again

Sometimes a girl needs a little bling

Cran-apple, warmed nuts and American Way

Grilled chicken salad with beats, goat cheese, pears and candied walnuts

Oatmeal raisin cookie in first. La bella vita indeed.

Back in ORD

Of course I had to get my Argo Tea

Happy anniversary to my awesome parents. Thanks for letting me tag along and happy gambling!

-Akemi-chan

No comments: